Friday, December 7, 2007

conservative flea control

Yes I use Advantage. I use Advantage because it is milder than most other similar formulas---it does not claim to kill ticks. (So you can pick off a few ticks yourself and save the environment some) A few points here. How could anyone know if Advantage, etc, is really safe. Yet such products are omnipresent in American homes, including mine. My holistic vet uses it. Yet how could it be really tested for long term effects, when you realize HRT was widely prescribed for years before dangers were recognised. Are pet products better tested than products for women. I doubt it.

These points are a background to some encouragement to use such products sparingly. These products typically are recommended to be used on a monthly basis. This is nuts---why not just use them when you see a reason to, a flea on somebody. That is what I do. And there is more --no one has pointed this out, but I say --test my next idea for yourself: I do not use Advantage or similar products on all the pets. Just applying it as needed to a couple of pets seems to confer immunity to the pets in the household. I am not sure why, (though I could guess) but test this out yourself. Fewer applications to fewer pets prevents flea problems and may do less harm to the environment than the recommendations of doctors.

No comments: